Storytellingstories -didgeridoo show

Prenez votre didge et votre micro, enregistrez le tout et envoyez le tout ici !!!
rahan
Modérateur||Modératrice
Modérateur||Modératrice

Re: Storytellingstories -didgeridoo show

Message par rahan »

Sorry but the web site lapaine.com doesn't seem to work any more...
Malheur à celui qui oublie le passé car
il est condamné à le revivre pour l'éternité
doudou
La pipelette infernale
La pipelette infernale

Message par doudou »

for myself it still working very well !

i'm sorry mister rahan but i think it's your computer :4: :4:

This didg is amazing .... this experience is very intertsing i think it should be more communicate in the didgeridoo world. I hope this topic in FD will contribute in it !! keep on playing, keep on crafting and come in france for a show mate !
Association Terremythe RDV le mercredi de 20h a 22h au 36 rue Parmentier 38000 GRENOBLE

infos :
Terremythe@hotmail.fr
http://www.myspace.com/terremythe
rahan
Modérateur||Modératrice
Modérateur||Modératrice

Message par rahan »

doudou a écrit :i'm sorry mister rahan but i think it's your computer :4: :4:
You're talkin' to me ??!!! :7:

WTF ?? Doesn't work on mine...
Malheur à celui qui oublie le passé car
il est condamné à le revivre pour l'éternité
rapho
La langue bien déliée
La langue bien déliée

Message par rapho »

eh be je suis impressionné
j'adore jouer sur des didges graves, mais je n'ai reussi qu'a mettre des bouts de pvc bout a bout

question : quelle est la taille de l'embouchure sur ce didge de 10m ?
(et la note ?)
doodeaux
Le discret||La discrète
Le discret||La discrète

Message par doodeaux »

Hello.

Sorry for being away. I've been doing... things. sometimes it takes me away a bit. Hope everybody is in good health and spirit.
I will try to answer and tell a little bit about my big and small didges.

You asked if that on the picture is a didgeridoo. i don't know. it works like a didgeridoo. same as didgeridoo it is a tube- nothing inside, a ring for a mouthpiece. only it is a bit different to play because of its... well size. :1:
First thing is to practice a basic drone, which is an octave or more deeper than normal drone. then it is a challenge to get circular breathing, then to do it fast, then to do transitions, then singing, then tongule, cheeks, jaw, everything... so in a way you have to learn to play again, so i'm not sure if it still is a didgeridoo. I used to practice two hours (a day) only the basic drone for some time until it got natural. So why trouble, what do you get in return?
You get the deepest possible flow for the drone... and several toots which are so deep that they still sound like didgeridoos. so you get more didgeridoos in one tube. and if for example your second toot is E, the one at about 80Hz , like a didgeridoo, it is with more bass and width of the sound than "normal" didgeridoo has. You can in total also play more toots. If you can play seven or eight or normal didges, you can play 10, 12, 15 on (really) deep ones...
The big one in the picture is made of wood- four parts, and two parts of fibres with epoxy...
When you hear it on youtube, it's really a faint picture of what it is a reality. I never heard it live, but they've told me that it feels like you stand in front of a membrane when you're in front of the horn.

Other didges that i play, small ones, i also make myself, a big majority. I've found out i ask for different qualities for didges i play then i could find to buy. Since i play solo mostly, i rely on the sound very much. For THE sound, but also for many sounds in between, higher and around. Nothing is to neglect, and the sound has to be pristine and with a lot of character... I make didges mostly between 1.8m and 2.3m. The didge i play the most on stage is a 2m C didge for Stinkirum, Lake of awareness, The Spatialist... I found it to be the most "universal" sounding for me. Recently, I also started to make and explore sounds of hard eucalyptus didges, and here is where i put most of my efforts now... but it is a big topic, maybe another time.

I hope i answered your question. If you want to try big didge, i encourage you to do so. You can start with three meter pvc pipe. Write me if you need help.

Many thanks for reading.

Du

rapho
La langue bien déliée
La langue bien déliée

Message par rapho »

Thanks for these explanations, but i have allready gone through these first steps on big didges. (unfortunately just cylindrical ones)
I can play the drone on a 4m cylindrical pipe (20 Hz), but i had to enlarge the mouthpiece a little (from 3cm to 4cm in diameter)

Would you keep the same mouthpiece size on a 3m pcv pipe compared to your usual 2m didges?

I would tend to think that the bigger your didgeridoo is, the bigger your mouthpiece should be. The problem is then to be able to use the usual techniques but with a bigger mouthpiece. For example, i cant breathe on the 1st hoot the way ondrej smeykal teaches us.
doodeaux
Le discret||La discrète
Le discret||La discrète

Message par doodeaux »

Maybe we should ask our kind moderators to split us and put into some playing forum.

Your questions are very good, as is your playing long tubes!
I play 4cm tubes for practice. Their mouthpiece narrows them to 36-37mm. And all the mouthpieces on longer didges are somewhere there. 35-38mm let's say.
However, i have some medium didges, like 4,3m didge that i play on "archangel of the odd" which has 33mm mouthpiece. It is so, because the upper part is 2.35m G didge i usually play with Ritosha (piano player) for songs like Kongoh. I think 32mm is the smallest mouthpiece I have. When it is on longer didge, it makes ground tone a bit more difficult, and the toots more easy, but not much.
The truth is, that it depends of the context of playing, and the context can ask for much more than the didge itself.
And that is where your second question comes in. I can only guess what Ondrej taught you about hoot and breathing, but if it so, then I must say for me it never played much difference. More difference for me made how easy can I do circular breathing or how easy and fast, and smooth can I switch between the toots and ground tone. The difference between high up an low down. This control is maybe the most difficult part in playing long tubes.
So I presume you can do circular breathing on long tube. Next step is to be able to do a smooth transition to toots, without breathing first, and then you should be able to breathe if that is what you can do on short didges.
Also, if you had a good 4 meters didge, it would be much easier for you to learn and play than on a pvc. But one day, playing pvc pipe will pay off.

I hope this helps.

Du
Ahaw
La pipelette infernale
La pipelette infernale

Message par Ahaw »

Hi Doodeaux !

First of all, I want to congratulate you for your beautiful experimental instruments, your "strange" performances (especially knowing that Youtube transcribes only a 10th of the real thing!) and all the love you seem to put in what you do !

I've got a question concerning very long didjes :
The drone sound is the vibration of the lips that gets the air column to vibrate at the same resonance frequency the didj' naturally has.
To keep it general : the shorter the didj, the higher the frequency... and vice versa.
>> the lips vibrations are limited to their elasticity/texture/etc... meaning that there is an upper and lower limit above and under which lips' vibration simply cannot match resonance frequency.
You say that you play at 20Hz (err, Rapho says, sorry, but all the same)... what would you say would be the lowest physically-possible frequency that your lips could reach ?
doodeaux
Le discret||La discrète
Le discret||La discrète

Message par doodeaux »

Thank you.
I share same inspiration milk from the milky way and same cosmic power powder with those who think about things or experience things similar like me, and me like them. So from the point of collective unconsciousness, we all play songs we like. Especially didge ones, of course.

To answer your question the simplest: I really don't know. When I started to explore long tubes, I've been practicing on cylndrical pvc. I've made them longer, until I had enough for what I needed to play. I stopped at some 5.3m I think, that's around 16Hz. Then I had to get some other skills in order to be able to create and express, and those I found harder. Precision and control is part of it. Maybe now i could go a bit deeper, but also maybe not. I don't have a need to do it at the moment.
The catch is also that you don't really get a 20Hz powerful bass (from pvc), you get mostly higher harmonics. So it sounds more like "pok" "pok" "pok"....
Another point is that there are very few people so far who play the long tubes, so you have a very small sample to say what is possible.
Another point is that human limits move every day.
And another point is that people who play didgeridoo a lot play it to make music, and a living, and they do not to go on athletic competitions or guiness book of records (although that is more likely), so nobody really dedicates his/her life to practicing only basic drone on long pipes, so the "real" human possible limit might be unknown forever.
However, we will certainly know better with time.

For now, we can just keep playing, not knowing where are our limts. ;-)

Du
rapho
La langue bien déliée
La langue bien déliée

Message par rapho »

Thx again. You produce very complete answers :1: :1:

What i meant by 'the way ondrej teaches us tho breathe' is : producing the drone , or overtones, just with the air in the mouth.
Enlarging the mouthpiece and playing lower made me lose this ability.
For the moment ... :7:
doudou
La pipelette infernale
La pipelette infernale

Message par doudou »

Yo !

Juste pour prévenir que mister lapâine donnera peut être un workshop a lyon le 18 avril (si assez d'inscrit) ! Avis au amateur
http://www.francedidgeridoo.com/post173 ... t=#p173415

:6:

keep on
Association Terremythe RDV le mercredi de 20h a 22h au 36 rue Parmentier 38000 GRENOBLE

infos :
Terremythe@hotmail.fr
http://www.myspace.com/terremythe
Répondre

Revenir à « Compositions personnelles didgeridoo »